December 7, 2010

Float Table uses magnets to make magic hovering effect

This is the Float Table, and it combines some of the best technology from the seventies and the eighties, along with yet-to-be-invented hover technology.

As you can see, the Float Table has that brown wood look that was so prevalent in the disco decade. The rotary phone is also a nice touch. As for the eighties, it certainly has that Rubik’s Cube thing going on.

According to my Source, those cubes are held together by the power of magnets. These attracting and rebelling forces somehow work together to appear like blocks floating in air, but still stable.

By the way, there are steel cables attached to the blocks to keep this structure from completely falling apart. I guess that you can’t see the cables in this picture. I’m also told that this is so you can shape the Float Table into whatever you want. I really wish that I had some pictures of that, as I would have attached them to this post.

I wonder if it is possible to shift this Float Table into something that looks more like an actual table with legs. I also wonder how much weight the table can hold.

Well, this is a concept piece of furniture as of now, but you never know. I don’t even know if this thing actually works, or if this is some complicated mock-up.

23 comments:

  1. WTF Looks like some bad science fiction movie

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES.

    forget the oversize art book. this would be the ultimate conversation piece. "oh, yes, that's my floating table."

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I thought magnets lose their...magnetism over time. Would this just fall apart after a few years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. great conversation piece, also great way to get sued when someone falls on it and it pinches their finger off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like they could make something much cooler-looking. But I guess they gotta start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems amazing ! but I don't understand how it works xD...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Classically Trained Nub

    Magnetism is lost over a succession of several HUNDRED years...you got time unless they are poorly made Electro-magnets.

    That aside, this table looks freaking awesome. Now they just need to make it so that you can put something in the ground and the table just floats at standard table height.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what I want for Christmas, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW That is the coolest thing I have ever seen. I WANT. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. just when i thought there could be no more innovation in the furniture industry.. hope it's real, cuz i want one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where can I get one and for how much?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @rigor tortoise

    As I said, I didn't know if it was only a concept or an actual table. After searching some more, I didn't find any price or location, I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  13. would look great in my living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would love to see this concept become something even more

    ReplyDelete
  15. My god, I must get myself one of these! :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. What CAN'T magnets do?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg thats awesome! I dont think id trust it to put a drink or something down onto it lol

    ReplyDelete